Where Smart Growth Begins!
The East Hampton Public Library, formerly the Chatham Public Library, was officially recognized as a public institution in January 1898 and opened to the public in August 1898. Always a part of Main Street’s history and community, the library has been housed in three facilities: 62 Main Street until 1953; 81 Main Street until 1986, and since June 1986, at its current location in the Community Center Complex at 105 Main Street.
Though much has changed over the course of the library’s 100+ year history, much has remained the same. Volunteers, many of them teens, and Friends of the Library continue to make significant contributions to the library. Print, non-print, and electronic media resources have been added in line with changes with how people find, use, and enjoy information for learning and recreation. Story hours, outreach and after-school programs promote the joys of reading and stress the importance of literacy though in new venues, with new collaborators. Music, discussion, and casual learning programs for adults also continue to be part of our service profile.
The library’s mission is to promote equal access to information and ideas, love of reading, and a wide range of community-based educational and cultural programs.
On the Internet
Blog Site – Learn about new services and programs or simply to take a look at what’s new in the world of East Hampton readers, viewers, and listeners. We offer public service posts when we can and welcome your comments and suggestions.